All EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros in their province of residence or at designated Police stations. In addition it is obligatory by Spanish law to register on the padrón (a list of all the people who live in a certain town) at the Town Hall where you habitually reside. Despite this, of the 800,000 British people estimated to be resident in Spain only around 390,000 are registered on the local padrón (2011 figures).

Registering on the padrón is a very easy process and an important one. Access to many state services, such as those for the elderly, require you to have been registered on the padrón for a significant period of time. So do not delay get yourself registered now!

DISCLAIMER: Information provided by or sponsored by other organisations is done so for the convenience of the enquirers. No member of the Federación of Age Concern España takes any responsibility for the competence or probity of any of the organisations below or for the consequence of any advice given to or action taken by the enquirer.

General Information Spanish Residency

EU Guidelines on Registering to Live in Another EU Country
Provided by the European Union
EU guidelines on who has the right to reside in another EU Country and when you should register as resident in that country.



Residency Requirements in Spain
Provided by GOV.UK
Advice on how to register as legally resident in Spain. Including who can apply and when you may need to provide proof of sufficient financial means to support yourself.


Applying For Residency Certificate/N.I.E

You can apply for a N.I.E through a local Gestor for a small fee, or by making an application at your local National Police Station or Foreigners’ Office (see links below for addresses). Without a N.I.E you would not be able to purchase or rent a property, buy a car, etc. You will need to complete a form E15, and take your passport plus one copy of the passport. There is also a small payment. Usually the payment has to be made to any bank using a form called ‘modelo 790’ the bank will stamp this form which you need to present with the other documents as proof of payment. Please note that the modelo 790 for the National Police and that for the Foreigners’ Office are not the same. They sometimes refuse to accept the other’s form. It is best to go to your nearest office and pick up a copy of the E15 and Modelo 790 from there to ensure you have the right ones. In many areas you need to make an appointment to get your N.I.E and you need to pick up and complete the documentation and make the payment before going to the appointment.

Applying for a N.I.E
Provided by Ministerio del Interior
Information on applying for your Residency Certificate / N.I.E from the Ministery of Interior. Only available in Spanish.


Regional Foreigner’s Offices
Provided by Ministerio del Interior
A list of Regional Foreigner’s Offices, just click on the region you live in. These tend to be in the larger cities only. If you live more rurally check out the list of national police offices instead.


Local Offices of The National Police
Provided by Ministerio del Interior
This link takes you to a list of National Police offices. Just click on the region you live in and scroll down until you find the nearest office to you.


Registering On The Padron

Upon arriving in Spain, it is advisable to regularise your situation by registering with your local Town Hall, which will entitle you to receive the benefits and services provided by the local authority. To do this you will need your passport together with one of the following: property deeds, rental contract, copy of a utility bill in your name from your place of residence in Spain. Some may also ask you for a copy of your N.I.E.

Find Your Local Town Council (Ayuntemiento)
Provided by 060.ES
This link takes you to a list of regions in Spain. Click on your region and it will take you to the ayuntemiento webpage (county council equivalent) for that region or a list of local ayuntemientos (town hall equivalent). It is different for each region. Some are available in English but many are only in Spanish.